Thursday 1 August 2013

SAVOURY STACKED QUINOA PANCAKES

I'm predictable. Some people go to a restaurant for 'something a bit different' or 'something fancy'. For me restaurants are, and always will be a place I can indulge. I pick up a menu and 9 times out of 10 I will scan it for the sub-heading BURGERS. When I've been out with my roomates, who are well aware of my penchant for healthy eating, they seem intrigued that once I get inside the doors of any restaurant why I let go of all inhibitions and assume the persona of an teenage boy with a appetite the size of a buffalo's. To me restaurants are synonymous with treats. When I was younger my family could never afford to take spontaneous trips to dine out, instead they were saved for birthdays and special occasions.  But yesterday I was craving indulgence and stodge. So I decided to get creative. I've seen a lot of paleo recipes merely go without the bun. But after seeing multiple protein pancakes sprawled across my instagram feed I thought why not combine the two? And..hey presto 'Savoury Stacked Quinoa Pancakes' are born.


Grab a large mixing bowl and mix 1 egg white, 1 egg yolk, 1 cup of cooked quinoa, some oats and tablespoon of almond, hazelnut or any milk alternative of your choice until you have a porridge like consistency. Using a non-stick pan ladle in a tablespoon of your mixture and spread about the pan using a spoon. Cook for 2-3 on a low heat or until brown, flip and repeat. 


Stack em' up on your plate. 




Now make your fillings. I used onions, mushrooms, aubergine and grilled chicken coated in cayenne pepper and mixed herbs. I also spread on a layer of hummus onto each pancake. 




I served mine with balsamic roasted kale and asparagus. 


The cleanest most healthiest 'burger' if I ever saw one! It definitely satisfied my restaurant craving. Now where's the dessert...?

No comments:

Post a Comment